by Jane Austen
Emma Chapter Fifty-Four Summary
- Mr. Knightley comes in one day with news: Harriet is engaged.
- To Robert Martin.
- Emma’s surprised – but not nearly as unhappy as Mr. Knightley expected.
- Apparently she’s learned some lessons.
- Mr. Knightley acknowledges that he’s learned, too.
- He doesn’t think Harriet a fool anymore.
- In fact, Robert’s upcoming marriage actually makes him pretty happy.
- Overjoyed, Emma travels to the Westons’ to share the news.
- Mrs. Weston sits with her new baby –and Frank and Jane are walking outside.
- Emma’s still a bit awkward about meeting Frank.
- They sit in silence for awhile, and Emma grows convinced that they’ll never be friends again.
- Soon, however, the ice breaks.
- Emma and Frank laugh over the mistakes of the past months.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...