by Jane Austen
Frank Churchill Timeline and Summary
- Mr. and Mrs. Weston receive letters from Frank promising a visit, but he doesn’t come.
- He finally shows up, pleasing everyone with his nice manners.
- Emma begins to fall in love with Frank.
- At Mrs. Cole’s dinner party, Emma and Frank make fun of Jane Fairfax.
- Frank and Emma plan a ball.
- Frank goes to the Bates house to hear Jane play on the piano.
- Before the ball, Frank has to return to his aunt’s house.
- He moves around with his aunt for awhile.
- When he returns, the Westons hold a ball.
- He seems changed, however – more distant than Emma remembered.
- Frank arrives late (and angry) to Mr. Knightley’s party. He met Jane and fought with her on the road.
- Flirting with Emma at the Box Hill party because he’s angry at Jane, Frank loses control of himself.
- Mrs. Churchill sends for Frank; she dies shortly after this.
- Frank confesses that he’s been engaged to Jane to his uncle.
- He returns to Highbury to ask Jane to honor their engagement.
- Frank tells his father about the secret engagement.
- Emma is the first to know about the engagement; she and Frank reconcile and agree to be good friends.