by Jane Austen
Harriet Smith Timeline and Summary
- Harriet is presented to Emma at a party. Emma decides to promote Harriet into better society.
- Harriet spends all her time at Hartfield.
- Emma convinces Harriet to fall in love with Mr. Elton. She paints Harriet’s picture (with Elton watching).
- Mr. Elton writes a riddle for Harriet’s riddle-book.
- Harriet gets sick.
- Mr. Elton proposes to Emma instead of Harriet.
- Mourning the loss of her love, Harriet mopes for weeks. And weeks.
- She becomes convinced that Mr. Elton is perfect.
- Harriet runs into Mr. Robert Martin in a store, which sends her pulse racing.
- She visits the Martins and has a lovely time.
- At a dance, Mr. Elton slights her. Mr. Knightley rescues her and asks her to dance.
- Harriet gets attacked by some gypsies. Frank Churchill saves her.
- Confessing to Emma that she’s fallen in love again, Harriet decides that she really can reach for the stars when it comes to marriage.
- It turns out, however, that she loves Mr. Knightley.
- Emma sends her away from Hartfield.
- After Emma and Mr. Knightley get engaged, Harriet goes to London to visit Isabella.
- She meets Mr. Martin there. They get engaged.