Cite This Page
Jane Fairfax Timeline and Summary
- Jane arrives in Highbury to stay with her aunt and grandmother, Miss and Mrs. Bates.
- We learn her history:
- Jane is the daughter of an army officer. A friend of her father’s, Colonel Campbell, raises her after her father dies.
- Jane spent time in Weymouth with the colonel’s family. She met Frank there.
- When the colonel’s daughter gets married, Jane leaves. She plans to be a governess.
- Jane receives a piano from an anonymous friend.
- Jane plays Mrs. Cole’s piano at a party.
- The new Mrs. Elton decides to "protect" Jane. Ugh.
- Mrs. Elton tries to find Jane a position as a governess.
- Tired of her family and friends, Jane runs away from the party at Mr. Knightley’s.
- She meets Frank on the road; they fight.
- Jane gets upset after Frank and Emma flirt scandalously.
- Frank leaves; Jane becomes very ill.
- She refuses to see Emma.
- Jane takes a position as a governess with a family friend of Mrs. Elton’s.
- After Mrs. Churchill dies, Frank comes back to make their engagement public.
- Mrs. Weston visits Jane to congratulate her.
- Once the engagement is public, Emma and Jane become friends.