by Jane Austen
Mrs. Elton Timeline and Summary
- We learn Mrs. Elton’s history before she arrives:
- She’s the daughter of a merchant; her sister is married to a somewhat wealthy man.
- She brings £10,000 to her marriage with Mr. Elton.
- Mrs. Elton tries to establish herself as one of the members of high society.
- She tries to befriend Emma.
- Talking incessantly about her sister’s husband, Mrs. Elton annoys everyone.
- She decides to become Jane’s "friend."
- Suddenly, she no longer tries to talk to Emma all the time.
- Mrs. Elton forgets to pick Jane up for the Westons’ party, but then she insists that her carriage should be sent.
- She rejoices when her husband slights Harriet.
- Mrs. Elton tries to organize an expedition to Box Hill.
- She and Mr. Knightley get into a battle of powers over the Donwell Abbey party. Mr. Knightley wins.
- Her sister’s friends need a governess. Mrs. Elton insists that Jane take the position.
- She writes to her sister on Jane’s behalf.
- After Jane’s engagement is made public, Mrs. Elton believes she’s the only one who knows about it.
- Mrs. Elton attends Emma’s wedding and criticizes it.