Robert Martin Timeline and Summary
- Robert Martin meets Harriet the summer before the novel begins.
- He writes a letter proposing to her after asking for Mr. Knightley’s blessing.
- She refuses him.
- A few weeks later, he meets Harriet in the dry goods store.
- He’s much more polite than Emma would have anticipated.
- Harriet visits his family; they strike up a friendship again.
- Mr. Knightley sends him to London on business.
- He meets Harriet there and finally proposes to her again.
- They get engaged.
Next Page: Miss Bates Timeline
Previous Page: Mr. Elton