An Enemy of the People
by Henrik Ibsen
Hovstad Timeline and Summary
- Hovstad has a lovely dinner at the Doctor's house.
- He trades a few jibes with the Mayor.
- When Dr. Stockmann announces his discovery about the unsanitary Baths, Hovstad is excited because he can use it against the Mayor and his cronies.
- He schemes with Billing about causing a liberal revolution in the town.
- Hovstad promises the Doctor that he'll publish the article exposing the heath risks of the Baths.
- He congratulates Dr. Stockmann on his strongly worded article, and criticizes Aslaksen for being too timid in his political beliefs.
- Hovstad makes a pass at Petra, Dr. Stockmann's daughter, intimating that he's helping her father in part because he's got a thing for her.
- When the Mayor comes to talk to him, he's easily convinced not to publish the Doctor's article.
- Later, he speaks out against Dr. Stockmann at the public meeting.
- H wrongly assumes that the Doctor's recent activities have all been a ploy to take over the Baths, and he tries to get in on the supposed scheme.
- The irate Dr. Stockmann chases him away with an umbrella.