Energy Flow and Enzymes
Test Your Knowledge
Energy, Cells, and the Creation of Order
- What is the opposite of anabolism?
- Is there more or less entropy in the universe today than there was 100 years ago?
- What type of energy does a car sitting on top of a mountain have?
Looking at Cells Under the Energy Microscope
- What factors are important in determining the rate of a reaction?
- What characteristics make an enzyme different than a reactant or product?
- If a reaction greatly decreases the entropy of a system but is still spontaneous, what must the sign of the ΔH value be?
Enzymes in Depth
- Does an enzyme change the ΔG of a reaction?
- Where does an enzyme bind its substrate?
- Does an enzyme lower or raise the activation energy?
Energy, Cells, and the Creation of Order Answers
- Answer: The opposite of anabolism is catabolism.
- Answer: There is more entropy in the universe than there was 100 years ago. The amount of disorder, or entropy, in the universe is always increasing.
- Answer: A car sitting on top of a mountain has potential energy. If you push the car over the hill, it can do work because of its position in the gravitational field.
Looking at Cells Under the Energy Microscope Answers
- Answer: The factors important for determining the rate of a reaction are the concentration of reactants and products and temperature.
- Answer: An enzyme is different than a reactant or a product because enzymes are not altered or used in a reaction.
- Answer: The ΔH value must be negative, or, in other words, heat must be released from the system.
Enzymes in Depth Answers
- Answer: No, enzymes do not change the free energy of a reaction. Enzymes just speed up the reaction.
- Answer: An enzyme binds its substrate at the active site.
- Answer: An enzyme lowers the activation energy.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search