Epistle to the Romans
Epistle to the Romans Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Considering Paul never even met Jesus during his lifetime, do you think he gets too much air time in the Bible?
- What do you think of Paul's views on homosexuality?
- Does it make sense to think of circumcision as a symbolic action and not a literal one?
- Paul warns us that only God can judge, but doesn't Paul do a bit of judging in here, too? Is judging others always wrong?
- Is Paul's recognition of humanity as sinful at odds with promoting self-esteem?
- Why do people keep using Romans for anti-Semitic purposes?
- How would you feel if people were still reading your texts or emails 2,000 years from now?
- Why are Paul's letters letters? Why not manifestos or treatises?
- What do you think of Paul's shout-outs to the Hebrew Bible (a.k.a. the Old Testament)? Are they confusing, or do they add to his argument?
- Paul talks about a female deacon named Phoebe. What do you think she would say if she got a chance to write a letter to the Romans?
- Paul is big on Christians not being arrogant, boastful, or filled with pride. Do you think modern Christians would agree?
- Are laws a good idea? Are they important for setting limits? Or can they actually lead us to do bad things? What would Paul say?
- Paul really wants Christians to get along, but today, they're still pretty divided. What are some things that contemporary Christians argue about?
- Do you think Paul is right to call himself an apostle? Does he have as much claim to the title as, say, Peter or James?
- Why is Paul so obsessed with Jesus's death? Isn't this a complete downer?
- Take a look at Paul's advice in the beginning of Chapter 13. Is he right? Is it wrong to rebel against authority? Or is that part of being a good person?
- Why does Paul write to a church he hasn't founded or even visited?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...