Eragon Chapter 47 Summary
How It All Goes Down
A Clash of Wills
- In the morning, they seem to have outdistanced the Urgals, but everyone is super-exhausted. Saphira has to go hunting to get some food.
- Murtagh and Eragon stop to let the horses drink. When they do, some armed men show up and surprise them.
- Eragon mentally lets Saphira know what's up, and some of the men come charging over.
- They have pretty rusty weapons, and they threaten Murtagh and Eragon with them. They're surrounded. The leader seems pleased: "At least we got healthy ones this time" (47.8). That doesn't sound good.
- He tells Murtagh and Eragon to drop their weapons.
- It turns out that these gentlemen are slavers. When they discover Arya, covered by a blanket, they go hog-wild. An elf will fetch a huge price on the slave market.
- Meanwhile, Eragon is mentally guiding Saphira into an attack. As he signals her, he and Murtagh make their move. Surprise surprise, a fight ensues.
- Saphira lands and Eragon shouts that they've picked the wrong farm boy to mess with. He's a Rider, and anyone who wants to live better get to steppin'.
- Most of the slavers don't have to be told twice. They take off in a panic.
- Their leader, though, a man named Torkenbrand, has been stunned and is slow to get up. Bad move. Murtagh comes over and chops the dude's head off.
- Eragon is not pleased. Why did Murtagh have to kill that man?
- Murtagh says it's not a good idea to take chances, but Eragon is not convinced.
- They ride deeper into the mountains and camp that night in silence. Eragon's not sure what to think about all of this.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search