Eragon Chapter 8 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- At dinner, Roran breaks the news to Garrow about his new job.
- Roran and Eragon are expecting the worst, but Garrow is actually okay with it: "It's life's natural course," he says (8.12).
- Roran is leaving in two weeks, but in the meantime Eragon feels bummed out and awkward around his cousin.
- On the bright side, Saphira is getting bigger. Eragon can now sit on her, in the hollow between her neck and shoulders.
- They spend a lot of time together. Eragon teaches her new words, and she teaches him about how a dragon thinks and behaves.
- Eragon struggles to find a good time to tell his family about Saphira. It's never a good time to break the I've-been-raising-a-baby-dragon news.
- He finally decides to tell Roran the night before he's about to leave for the miller job. When he gets to Roran's room, though, Eragon sees him start to pack a gift that Eragon gave him: a polished rock. (We're guessing that iGadgets and video games weren't around in Alagaësia.)
- Something stops Roran, though, and he puts the rock back on the shelf.
- Eragon is now super-bummed, and he leaves.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search