Murtagh Timeline & Summary
- When he sees that Brom, Eragon, and Saphira have been taken prisoner by the Ra'zac, Murtagh scares the nasty suckers by pelting them with arrows.
- He offers to help Eragon and Saphira because he wants to see what kind of interesting things happen to a real, live Dragon Rider. Hey, can we blame him?
- After Brom dies, Murtagh offers to help Eragon on his quest, but he warns him that it might be dangerous.
- At Gil'ead, Murtagh convinces everyone that he should go into town by himself to track down their contact for the Varden.
- After Eragon is taken prisoner in Gil'ead, Murtagh shows up in disguise to help rescue him.
- As they flee, Murtagh suggests they leave the Empire. The Hadarac Desert is lovely this time of year.
- As they are making their way across the desert, they're surrounded by slavers. Eragon and Murtagh fight back, and Saphira scares most of them away.
- Then Murtagh chops the chief slaver's head off. Cold-blooded. He says it's not a good idea to take chances, but Eragon isn't convinced.
- Murtagh's not keen on meeting up with these Varden folks.
- He explains why he won't go to the Varden: Murtagh is the son of Morzan, last of the Forsworn (enemies of the Varden).
- At the Varden hideout, Murtagh refuses to have his mind probed. He's thrown in prison (albeit a nice, cushy prison) by Ajihad, leader of the Varden.
- When the Urgals prepare to attack, though, Murtagh is let out to help fight; Ajihad sees the coming battle as a test of Murtagh's trustworthiness.
- Murtagh slays Urgals right and left, helping Eragon in the battle.
- After Eragon comes to, having been wounded by Durza the Shade, Murtagh happily reports that they won. Victory!
- Also, Murtagh informs Eragon that he's a bona fide hero for having killed Durza.