Cite This Page
Miguel Timeline and Summary
- Miguel grows up on the ranch of Esperanza's Papa. Miguel has a knack for fixing just about anything which means we have a knack for Miguel. Sigh.
- Miguel and Esperanza are besties, but when Esperanza reminds Miguel that they belong to different social classes (smooth, E), he stops joking around with her.
- After Esperanza's Papa dies, things get better between the two friends.
- Miguel tells Esperanza that he wants to go to the U.S., because in Mexico he'll never be anything more than a servant. In the U.S., he'll have an opportunity to work his dream job as a railroad mechanic.
- Once they're in California, Miguel and Esperanza get in a huge fight. Bottom line: Esperanza is tired of his optimism. Miguel always insists that things are going to get better, but Esperanza doesn't see how.
- Miguel takes Esperanza's money and disappears. He tells his parents he's gone north to look for a railroad job, but when he returns to California, he's got Abuelita with him. Our hero.
- Miguel takes Esperanza to the hills to watch the sunrise, and she teaches him how to listen to the earth. They hold hands. We say "aww."