Executive Branch & Presidents
Executive Branch & Presidents Questions
There's more than one right answer.
- Do any of the conditions which led to the creation of the Electoral College still exist?
- Why do you suppose the Electoral College still exists?
- Should the presidential election process be reformed? If so, how?
- Where should we draw the line between the president's authority to deploy troops and Congress's authority to declare war?
- The Framers of the Constitution intended to balance the war powers between the president and Congress. Toward which branch does the War Powers Act tilt this balance?
- Should presidents be trusted with control over an agency like the CIA?
- Are covert activities a necessary part of American foreign policy?
- Can secrecy be preserved when Congressional oversight is required?
- What is most responsible for the growth of the presidential office?
- How would you classify the dramatic growth in the presidential office? Necessary? Dangerous? Natural?
- Do the Constitution's qualifications for the president make sense?
- Should a democracy deny voters the right to vote for a person thirty years old?
- Why is a naturalized citizen unfit for the presidency?
- Should presidents be required to meet regularly with the press?
- How would you characterize the current president's relationship and skills with the press?
- Has the modern media enhanced or cheapened our electoral process? Has it produced a different sort of politician?
- Did the Supreme Court rule wisely in Bush v. Gore?
- Did their ruling protect or tarnish America's electoral process? Was their decision judicious or partisan?
- Not all American presidents have been successful. The public has judged some inept and others dishonest. Yet no president has ever been removed from office through the impeachment process. Why do you suppose that is?
- Should there be a different, simpler process for removing unsuccessful or unpopular presidents? Why or why not?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...