Book of Exodus
Book of Exodus Chapter 17 Summary
The Israelite Water Board Convention and Amalek
- Again in the desert, the Israelites do some more complaining. This time, it's about the lack of water. The desert is one dry place.
- Moses asks God for help again, and God shows Moses a rock. Moses hits the rock with his magic staff, and water pours out.
- That was easy.
- Next up, another tribe, the Amalekites, attacks. Moses chooses his lieutenant, Joshua, to go out and fight the enemy.
- As long as Moses holds his staff up on his outpost looking out at the battle, the Israelites win. But eventually Moses gets super tired. Solution? Aaron and another guy rig a rock to hold Moses's arm up in place the whole day. Genius.
- The Israelites win.
- A quick note on "the wilderness of Sin." It's not a sinful wilderness. Sin was actually an ancient deity of the moon. It's like when people say, "These are the woods of John the Baptist," or something else like that.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...