Book of Exodus
Book of Exodus Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- How would you describe God to a friend after reading Exodus? What is he like in person, and how is his role in Exodus different than, say, Moses's?
- What is the role of law in the text? Is it all one big legal mess, or is this the beginning of something new in ancient culture?
- Are the Israelites just sheep being led by Moses the shepherd, or do they play an active role in freeing themselves?
- What is Aaron's role in the story? Is he redeemed at the end for messing up?
- Is Pharaoh a victim or an oppressor? Could he be both at once?
- How does an average Egyptian fare throughout the story? Are the Egyptians victims, or do they deserve what they get?
- How does Exodus relate to the rise of civilization? Is it a story of creating and upholding civilization or destroying it?
- What is the role of stubbornness in the story? Are people naturally stubborn, or are they made to be that way?
- Did the Israelites get more than they bargained for in this covenant? Is it a fair deal, or is it tilted towards God?
- What is the literary role of repetition in Exodus? Is it a good tactic, or would it have worked better around a fire, spoken orally?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search