by Ray Bradbury
Mildred Montag Timeline and Summary
- Montag finds Mildred passed out, having overdosed on thirty plus sleeping pills.
- Her stomach is pumped and her blood re-circulated.
- The next morning she doesn’t remember any of it. But she is very hungry. All she talks about is TV, which she calls her “family.”
- When Montag doesn’t want to go to work, he begs Mildred to call in sick for him; she refuses. He asks if she minds his not being a fireman anymore; she does.
- When Beatty comes over to lecture Guy, Mildred starts tidying up and finds the book hidden behind Montag’s pillow. She nearly gives it away to Beatty, except her husband throws her out of the room first.
- After Beatty leaves, Montag insists that Mildred read the books that he’s hidden with him. She does, but declares that books aren’t real and don’t mean anything.
- Mildred is horrified when her husband starts reading poetry to her friends. So horrified, in fact, that she calls in the alarm to the fire station on her own house.
- The last we see of Mildred, she’s fleeing the house in a taxi cab. When the city is bombed, Montag figures she’s dead. As he predicted, he doesn’t cry about this fact.