A Farewell to Arms
Catherine Barkley Timeline and Summary
- Catherine, a V.A.D. nurse, meets Frederic, an American who is driving ambulances for the Red Cross, in Gorizia, Italy. She falls in love with him.
- After he’s wounded at the front and transported to Milan, she follows him there.
- She has a hot and heavy relationship with him, and takes care of the wounded soldiers coming into the hospital.
- She tells Frederic she’s three months pregnant, and they plan to vacation together during his three month leave.
- Catherine goes with Frederic to a hotel before he has to catch the midnight train.
- We only see her in Frederic’s dreams and fantasies until he deserts the army and finds her in Stresa, Italy.
- She flees with Frederic by rowboat in the night to Switzerland, upon a warning of his impending arrest for desertion.
- They have a beautiful time in Switzerland until she goes into labor.
- She has an awful and painful labor, and the baby dies sometime during or after her Caesarean operation.
- She dies of multiple hemorrhages shortly thereafter.