A Farewell to Arms
by Ernest Hemingway
A Farewell to Arms Chapter 20 Summary
- Frederic, Catherine, Helen, Mr. and Mrs. Meyers, and Crowell Rodgers, a young man who had been wounded and stayed in the hospital with Frederic, go to the races.
- Crowell reads the racing papers, but doesn’t care about the races. Frederic always asks for his advice and he gives it, but he would rather give it to Myers.
- Crowell tells them the purple-haired horse has dyed hair, so Frederic and Catherine bet on it. After the race, they go to see how much they won.
- They run into some polite Italians, and everyone is having a good time.
- Catherine and Frederic run away to be alone. They watch a race together, drink, and feel better, and then go back to the other people and have a good time.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...