A Farewell to Arms
A Farewell to Arms Chapter 37 Summary
- Frederic rows out. The weather is stormy, but the boat is light, so the rowing is not too bad, though sometimes it does get bad.
- Catherine says that she feels badly about Ferguson waking tomorrow with no word of them.
- Frederic says that he is worried about getting safely into Switzerland. When Frederic’s back hurts from rowing, Catherine rows for a while and he holds the umbrella over her.
- The wind turns the umbrella inside out, and Catherine laughs.
- Frederic takes the oars, and Catherine gets them a drink from their bags.
- They help each other get the boat to Switzerland and hide the boat in some bushes, leaving their bag.
- They have a nice breakfast. They are arrested, but they finesse the officers. They show their passports and make up a story about coming into Switzerland for "winter sport."
- The officers let them go, but tell them that they have to check in at police stations wherever they go.
- Happy and excited that they have made it to Switzerland, they find a hotel, exhausted.