A Farewell to Arms
by Ernest Hemingway
A Farewell to Arms Chapter 8 Summary
- In response to a report of a potential attack on the river, four ambulances are sent to the front. Mr. Henry is driving one of them. On the way, he stops at the hospital to see Catherine.
- He tells her that he’s going overnight. She takes off her necklace and gives it to Mr. Henry, telling him the pendant attached to it is Saint Anthony.
- He asks if she’s Catholic and she says that she isn’t but "Saint Anthony is very useful."
- She says he shouldn’t kiss her there.
- Back in the car, the driver shows Mr. Henry that he’s also wearing a St. Anthony and suggests that Saint Anthony works better when worn, so Mr. Henry puts it on.
- They drive all afternoon, and Mr. Henry observes the beauty of the scenery. It is dusk when they reach the main road.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...