The Fault in Our Stars Chapter 22 Summary
- They go to the funeral. Hazel watches how all these people she doesn't know go up and touch the coffin.
- Augustus's parents look super devastated, so she goes up to pay her condolences.
- She also goes to his coffin and kisses him on the cheek. She even sneaks him some smokes.
- She's sitting there during the service when suddenly someone talks to her. She realizes that Peter Van Houten is at the funeral.
- She listens to Isaac's eulogy and then decides to get up and give a eulogy about the Encouragements.
- For Augustus' parents' sake, because they're suffering so much. She doesn't want to go to the burial, but she goes because she knows it's the right thing to do.
- After the burial, Peter Van Houten hitches a ride home with them. He tells her some cryptic stuff about how every cell is born from a previous cell. She's just over it.
- She says she doesn't want an explanation and that she thinks he's pathetic and an alcoholic.
- When she gets home, she goes into the bathroom and locks herself in there.
- Her dad comes in and tells her that even though the whole thing sucks, it was a privilege to know and love Gus. And that that's how he feels about her.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...