The Fault in Our Stars
The Fault in Our Stars Chapter 8 Summary
- Hazel goes to a big Cancer Team Meeting in which doctors discuss the long term effects of Phalanxifor and assure her that they've seen patients live with her level of tumor penetration for "a long time," whatever that means.
- It pains her to be at these meetings because it makes her think back to all the suffering that she causes for her poor parents.
- At the end of the meeting, she asks if she can go to Amsterdam, and one of the doctors doesn't think it'll be okay.
- That night, Augustus calls and she breaks the news to him that they might not be able to go to Amsterdam.
- He jokes that if he had just taken her, it would have gotten him laid. She's surprised to learn that he's a virgin.
- They talk for a while and then Hazel's parents come in and agree to watch America's Next Top Model with her.
- When Hazel wakes up, she writes Peter Van Houten a letter about how she can't come to Amsterdam. But then she doesn't send it.
- She goes outside and calls Augustus, but he doesn't pick up.
- When he calls her back, she's crying. Why? Because she wants to go to Amsterdam and she's depressed. She also tells him about an old swing set that her dad made for her. Augustus says he'll come over to see the swing set immediately.
- He arrives and sits down to talk to Hazel while she's bumming. They go inside and decide to sell the swing set online.
- Then Augustus reads to Hazel from An Imperial Affliction.
- As they sit on the couch together, he kisses her on the cheek, claiming that it's totally friendly.
- When Hazel wakes up the following morning, she has an email from Van Houten's assistant Lidewij.
- It says that everything is set up for their trip the next week.
- Hazel tracks down her mother and tells her that they have to tell the wish-granting genies to call the trip off.
- But surprise! The trip is actually on and they are allowed to go.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...