The Fault in Our Stars Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- What does An Imperial Affliction have to do with Hazel's own life? Why is she so stinkin' obsessed and how has the book changed her?
- How does Hazel and Augustus's relationship differ from that of other teens? How is it the same?
- Why is Isaac's sight such a point of contention between him and his girlfriend? Do you think his girlfriend leaving him was warranted?
- What is the significance of the words "always" and "okay" to the characters? Why do they pick these words?
- What is the significance of the fact that An Imperial Affliction doesn't end, and why does Hazel so bent on knowing what happens?
- What does Hazel want for her parents? Does she get it at the end?
- If the story was told from Augustus's point of view, how would it have ended? Would it have ended with his death, or sometime before it?
- Does Van Houten actually care about Hazel and Augustus? Why does he feel the need to go to Gus's funeral at the end?
- Why does Augustus write Hazel a eulogy before he dies? Why doesn't he present her with the ending of An Imperial Affliction instead?
- What does Hazel learn from her relationship with Augustus? Is it a deeper relationship than most teenage first loves, or does it just feel that way because they have such limited time?
- Why do the chapters in the story get shorter during the time that Augustus is progressively deteriorating?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...