Discussion & Essay Questions
Available to teachers only as part of the Teaching The Federalists: Hamilton, Washington & AdamsTeacher Pass
Teaching The Federalists: Hamilton, Washington & Adams Teacher Pass includes:
- Assignments & Activities
- Reading Quizzes
- Current Events & Pop Culture articles
- Discussion & Essay Questions
- Challenges & Opportunities
- Related Readings in Literature & History
Sample of Discussion & Essay Questions
- What was the greatest challenge faced by the new nation?
- Economic instability?
- Institutional immaturity?
- Foreign threat?
- Weak sense of national identity?
- If you had been president, which challenge would you have addressed first?
- Which problem, if corrected, would set the stage for other improvements?
- Which problem had to be corrected before the others could be addressed?
- To what extent do Americans still identify with their state or region?
- Does this local identity supersede national identification?
- Is this more true in some places than others?
- If so, why has regional/state identity persisted in these places?
- If so, is this a problem?
- Does "republicanism" still exist?
- Are these values still part of our national ideology?
- Can you think of an individual that embodies these virtues?
- Or are these values archaic?
- Is there such a thing as the "common good?"
- Should elected representatives speak for the immediate interests of those actually voting for them? Or should they ignore our immediate, local needs in order to advance the "general welfare?"