by August Wilson
Fences Act 2, Scene 2 Summary
- Stage directions tell us that it's six months later.
- Troy enters from the house and starts to walk off.
- Rose comes out on the porch, saying she wants to talk to him.
- He says she hasn't wanted to talk to him for months, so why now.
- She tells him she wants him to come home after work tonight.
- Troy replies that he comes home every night.
- Yeah, but not straight after work, says Rose, implying that he goes by Alberta's first.
- Her husband tells her that he's going by the hospital after work.
- Apparently Alberta might be having the baby early, so he's going to check on her.
- Rose informs him that they put Gabe in the mental hospital today.
- She accuses him of signing the papers to have Gabe put away.
- He denies it.
- Rose says Ms. Pearl showed her the paper with his signature on it.
- Now Troy will get part of the check that the government sends for his brother.
- Troy says he didn't know what he was signing because he can't read.
- Rose accuses Troy of selling his brother out for the money.
- He flatly denies it.
- The phone rings and Rose goes to answer it.
- She comes back out and tells Troy that it was the hospital calling.
- Alberta has had the child but died in the process.
- The baby is healthy.
- Rose wonders who is going to bury Alberta.
- Troy says Alberta had family.
- Rose begs Troy not to push her away.
- He says he's not trying to do that; he just needs some breathing room.
- Rose goes back into the house.
- Troy starts talking out loud to Death. He says he's going to build a fence around the yard to keep Death out.
- Troy tells Death that when he comes for him he'd better be ready for a fight.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...