Cite This Page
Fences Act 2, Scene 3 Summary Page 1
- Stage directions tells us that it's three days later.
- Rose is sitting on the porch, listening to a ballgame.
- Troy enters carrying his new baby, Raynell, wrapped in blankets.
- There's a long, awkward silence.
- Troy tells his wife that he's holding his daughter.
- He says the girl is innocent and doesn't have a mother.
- Rose brushes Troy off and goes back inside.
- Troy sits down on the porch with Raynell.
- He bemoans that fact that neither of them have a home now.
- Troy sings Raynell a lullaby.
- Rose comes back out on the porch.
- Troy asks her if she'll help take care of Raynell.
- Rose agrees, because Raynell is innocent and doesn't deserve to suffer.
- However, from now on, Rose won't be Troy's woman.