Cite This Page
Troy Maxson Timeline and Summary
- Returns home from work with his friend Bono.
- Sips gin with Bono and talks about how he's contesting the racial segregation at work.
- Denies being interested in Alberta when Bono brings it up.
- Talks about how much he loves his wife, Rose.
- Says he's against Cory getting a football scholarship.
- Complains that he wouldn't have a house without his brother Gabriel's disability check.
- Bemoans the fact that racism kept him from playing pro baseball.
- Tells a story about how he wrestled Death.
- Tells a story about how he met the Devil.
- Gives Lyons a hard time about borrowing ten dollars.
- Criticizes Rose for playing the numbers.
- Fusses because Cory isn't around to help build the fence.
- Heads off to Taylors' to listen to the game.
- Starts building the fence with Cory.
- Tells his son he doesn't want him to play football.
- Argues that pro sports are still too racist.
- Lectures his son that he doesn't have to like him; he only has to provide for him.
- Comes home celebrating because he's broken the racial barrier at work by becoming a driver.
- Gives Lyons a hard time when he pays back the ten dollars he borrowed.
- Refuses to go hear Lyons play music.
- Tells the story of a violent fight he and his father got into on the day Troy left home.
- Talks about living in a shack when he first came to Pittsburgh and had to steal to get by.
- Recounts how he ended up in prison for killing a man.
- Threatens Cory when he comes home angry about his father's ending his football dreams.
- Returns from bailing Gabriel out of jail.
- Admits to Rose that he's been having an affair with Alberta and that he's gotten the woman pregnant.
- Roughly grabs Rose's arm.
- Gets knocked down by Cory.
- Threatens his son again.
- Denies putting Gabriel in a mental hospital just for the check.
- Taunts Death when he learns that Alberta died in childbirth.
- Asks Rose to help raise Raynell, his newborn daughter.
- Has an awkward conversation with Bono, whom he hasn't seen in a while.
- Gets into a big fight with Cory, complete with baseball bat.
- Wins the fight with his son.
- Kicks Cory out of the house.
- Taunts Death again.
- Dies seven years later.