Fever, 1793 Chapter 28 Summary
November 10th, 1793
- The coffeehouse opens and business is booming. Ever the entrepreneur (still), Mattie starts giving away free samples to boost sales. Nathaniel is on hand to help out with errands, and his paintings are now hung on the wall of the coffeehouse.
- Mattie becomes pensive: everything seems to be just hunky dory, except she still misses Grandfather. And she doesn't know what has become of Mother.
- Nathaniel bursts through the door and announces that President Washington is coming down High Street. Everyone rejoices and watches the procession. If government officials are returning to Philadelphia, the epidemic must really be over.
- Matilda throws her arms around Nathaniel Benson and gives him a big kiss. Woohoo!
- A caravan of wagons is following President Washington carrying people from the country. Mattie sees a frail woman dressed in country clothes: it's her mother.