by Laurie Halse Anderson
Fever, 1793 Epilogue Summary
- Matilda wakes up to the sound of Silas pouncing on a mouse.
- It's still dark outside and everyone else is asleep, but Matilda dresses and gets up to start the day.
- Downstairs, she starts a new fire and puts the kettle on. Matilda makes coffee and sets out the breakfast dishes.
- She carries her mug through the coffeehouse and adjusts the paintings on the wall – Nathaniel's paintings.
- Matilda sits on the front steps and watches the sun rise, reflecting on those she has lost. Her mind lingers on Polly and Grandfather, and then? Time to get to work. The day has begun.