Fight Club Chapter 3 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- Our narrator says he's going to tell us how he and Tyler met, but he does that at the very end of the chapter. First, he tells us three other things:
- (1) Tyler Durden works as a projectionist in a theater. He splices frames of explicit pornography into children's movies.
- (2) Our narrator flies around a lot for his job. He wakes up in different airports all over the country, uses everything—shampoo, food, mouthwash—in tiny single-serving containers, and fantasizes about plane crashes.
- (3) His job is to decide if initiating a vehicle recall is worth it. If out-of-court settlement cost is greater than the cost of the recall, they initiate a recall. It's all about money.
- Now to the point: Our narrator and Tyler met at a nude beach. There, Tyler built a large vertical hand out of wood. At exactly 4:30PM, he sat in the shadow of the hand, "in the palm of a perfection he'd created himself" (3.98).
Next Page: Chapter 4
Previous Page: Chapter 2