Fight Club Chapter 9 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- When mixed with lye, Tyler's wet saliva on the back of our narrator's hand ignites into "an atomic pile meltdown" (9.10) of pain.
- Our narrator is trying to distance himself from the pain, but Tyler keeps drawing him back to it. He wants him to pay attention. "This is the greatest moment of your life […] and you're off somewhere missing it" (9.42).
- Tyler tells our narrator about soap and the values of human sacrifice. Sounds like a great hook for a new Dove campaign.
- After our narrator pees himself, Tyler pours vinegar on the burn, extinguishing it.
- A giant kiss-shaped scar is left behind.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...