First Fig Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Is the light that the candle gives off something that the speaker herself can see? Why might this matter?
- How would the poem be different if it didn't rhyme? Would it feel sadder? Happier?
- Why do you think the speaker addresses her foes before her friends? What does this say about her audience?
- Do you think that life gets used up or burned out if you live too exciting a life? Why or why not? How might the speaker answer that question?
- Is using clichés like "burning a candle at both ends" a bad move for a poem? Why or why not?