Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Why do you think Sandburg chose to begin his poem with a metaphor rather than a simile? What's the difference?
- How does all of the enjambment contribute to the movement of the poem (and fog)?
- How does fog move in a catlike way? Why is the imagery of a cat's movements so important to the poem?
- How do we know that some time has passed after Lines 1 and 2? What kinds of words does the speaker use to indicate this passage of time?
- How does the repetition of the word "on" contribute to the metaphor of a cat-fog?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search