For the Union Dead Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Why does Lowell write a commemorative poem for something that happened almost a century ago?
- If the poem is about Union soldiers, what's the point of bringing in all the stuff about the aquarium?
- What's up with Boston, according to the speaker? How do you think the speaker feels about the place? What evidence is there to support your opinion?
- What's the overall tone of the poem? Disappointed? Triumphant? Critical? A mixture? Does it change? Why do you think so (or not)?
- Do you think this poem does a good job of commemorating Shaw and his soldiers? Why or why not?
- Do you think this poem addresses the Civil Rights movement? If so, in what way(s)?
Next Page: Quizzes
Previous Page: Quotes