For Whom the Bell Tolls
For Whom the Bell Tolls Chapter 32 Summary
- We're at Gaylord's – that place from Robert Jordan's flashback. Karkov has just entered his apartment, which is crowded with people. He greets his wife, and then his mistress.
- Karkov's mistress wants to go watch the secret offensive the next day. Karkov is taken aback that she knows about it, but she assures him that everyone does. He feels much better.
- Another man beckons him over, and asks if he's heard the good news: the fascists are fighting among themselves near Segovia, bombing their own troops with planes! (Hmm, that sounds like just about exactly where El Sordo was.) He knows it's true because "Dolores" had brought the news. Dolores's eyes were shining as she spoke – she has a glorious face.
- To say Karkov is unimpressed – by the news, and Dolores – is an understatement.
- Karkov goes to a general to ask about the news and discuss the offensive. Karkov mentions that Robert Jordan is there, and he's worried about him. Have they received any report?
- No report has come in.
- Leaving the room, Karkov goes to sleep. He's got an early morning the next day.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search