For Whom the Bell Tolls
by Ernest Hemingway
Fernando Timeline and Summary
- We meet Fernando on the morning of the second day, when he's in the cave having breakfast.
- He has also heard various rumors in La Granja that there will be a Republican offensive.
- He irritates Pilar by liking her soup, and then by dissing Valencia.
- Fernando leads Robert Jordan to the spot where Anselmo is still watching the road, having been given directions by Rafael. He receives the name "Cigar Store Indian" from Robert Jordan (who doesn't say it to his face).
- Later that night, after the confrontation with Pablo, Fernando "makes a bureaucracy with his mouth" and takes a very long time to agree with everybody else that they should just kill Pablo.
- Fernando spends the following day in the cave preparing for the next day's escape.
- The next morning, Fernando fights with Pilar's group in the attack on the upper sentry post. He is mortally wounded, and left by the bridge to die. We do not see him die.