by Isaac Asimov
Hober Mallow Timeline and Summary
- Mallow is sent to Korell to figure out what happened to three Foundation ships that suddenly went missing. They just vanished. Poof!
- There, he is confronted with a dilemma: sell out a Foundation missionary to the Korellian police, or start a war.
- Mallow gives the missionary a bouncer's boot.
- He sets up a trade route with Korell's leader, the Commdor. He also discovers nuclear weapons on the planet, ones belonging to the Empire itself.
- Next, Mallow heads off to Siwenna and learns the Empire is still kicking (feebly) in the center of the galaxy. They've also sided with Korell in a war against the Foundation.
- When he gets home, Mallow is put on trial for murdering that missionary fellow. Too bad Mallow outsmarted Sutt, proving that the missionary was a member of the Korellian Secret Police and not the Foundation.
- Mallow is elected mayor, and Korell begins its attack.
- No sweat. Mallow has used his trade route with Korell to create a system by which the planet's entire economy requires the Foundation to operate.
- When Mallow stops sending trade to Korell, the economy collapses. Mallow wins the war without even fighting one.