by Isaac Asimov
Foundation Part I, Chapter 2 Summary
- The ship lands, and Gaal exits into the Debarkation Building, a travel hub that makes LAX look like a Kansas airstrip.
- Gaal is pointed toward some taxis, and although the system initially confuses him, he manages to convince one to take him to the nearest hotel. LOL tourists, right?
- Trantor is way big. Everything is housed inside vast structures and buildings. The taxis and other vehicles use tunnels to get through and between the buildings. It's just like a colony of ants.
- When Gaal arrives at the Luxor Hotel (not that one), he notices he hasn't seen the sky since his arrival.
- Actually, that does sound a lot like Vegas.
- Another Encyclopedia Galactica entry concludes this chapter. Get use to them; they'll be popping up a lot.
- This one gives us some details on Trantor. The entire planet's surface is one giant city that, at its height, housed forty billion people. Yeah, with a B. The entire population completely dedicates itself to administrating the Galactic Empire, meaning the small tasks in life like growing food are outsourced to other planets.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...