The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber
by Ernest Hemingway
The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Have Macomber's many accomplishments prepared him for what he faces on the safari? Why or why not? And we're not just talking about the hunt here, but other challenges as well.
- Is the Macomber marriage a perfect match or a big old disaster? How do you know?
- What exactly does Wilson have against Americans?
- Why does Robert sleep with Margot? Why does Margot sleep with Robert?
- Did Margot shoot Macomber on purpose?
- Why does Wilson torment Margot after she shoots Macomber? What do you make of her reaction?
- Whose side is the narrator on? Or is he on a side at all?
- Would this story work as a novel, or does shortness contribute to its effect?
- With whom does Hemingway want the reader to identify? Do you think he wants you to identify with any of the characters at all?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...