Cite This Page
- Because the monster is all sensitive and stuff, he starts to realize that Felix is totally sad, too.
- Soon, a hot, foreign woman arrives at the cottage. Felix perks up. So does everyone else.
- The woman, Safie, doesn't speak the language that the rest of the cottage people do, so they teach it to her, which is convenient for the monster—he eavesdrops on her lessons and learns the language, too.
- He also learns to read and learn about the world.
- He learns about history from the book Ruins of Empires that Felix uses to teach Safie.
- All this literacy is both good and bad (like fire!); it helps him understand the world, but it also reminds him that he can't really participate in the world.
- He's ugly and different and alone, and now he really knows it.