What's going on in the rest of the book?
Frankenstein Chapter 2 Summary
- Unlike Walton, Victor has friends. Two of them. Or at least, he did during his childhood. First, there is Elizabeth. Victor also has a friend named Henry Clerval.
- Victor describes his idyllic childhood, but don’t worry: less happy things are coming. Begin use of historical present.
- As a brooding teenager, Victor develops an interest in science. Especially interesting to him is the old, not to mention discredited, field of alchemy.
- He talks a lot about some guy named Albertus Magnus, who was a real scientist, by the way.
- Victor realizes that science is very powerful, but possibly also destructive, when he sees a tree get struck by lightning. Hmm!