Cite This Page
Frankenstein Chapter 2 Summary Page 1
- Unlike Walton, Victor has friends. Two of them. Or at least, he did during his childhood. First, there's Elizabeth. Victor also has a friend named Henry Clerval.
- Victor describes his idyllic childhood, which is a cue for us to begin use of the historical present.
- As a brooding teenager, Victor develops an interest in science. Especially interesting to him is the old, not to mention discredited, field of alchemy. He's especially into some guy named Albertus Magnus.
- This is like some kid getting into music and really liking old ragtime records from the 1900s.
- Wait, scratch that, some hipster is probably starting a ragtime tumblr right now.
- Victor realizes that science is very powerful, but possibly also destructive, when he sees a tree get struck by lightning. Hmm!