What's going on in the rest of the book?
Frankenstein Chapter 4 Summary
- Victor becomes a huge nerd. He doesn’t make friends. He doesn’t write home, not even to his hot sister/future wife, Elizabeth.
- On the plus side, Victor’s studies advance rapidly, which tends to happen when you’re in self-prescribed social exile. Soon, he has mastered everything there possibly is to know in the world.
- He becomes obsessed with the way some things are alive and others…aren’t really. He wants to figure out how to make non-living things into living ones.
- From a psychological perspective, this probably has something to do with the fact that Victor’s mother just died. This is not a healthy alternative to counseling.
- Victor studies anatomy to learn about how bodies live and die.
- He decides he wants to make a new race of creatures, and in his spare time he starts assembling pieces of corpses. No one mentions this, but it probably smells really bad at his place.
- Further, no one seems too worried about where Victor is getting all the pieces of corpses to sew together. Are we the only curious ones?
- Obsession becomes Victor’s middle name.