Freak the Mighty
by Rodman Philbrick
Freak the Mighty Chapter 13 Summary
American Chop Suey
- Max keeps taking classes with Freak, and to Max's surprise, he's actually learning stuff. For some reason, it makes sense when Freak explains it to him.
- Max's main problem is that he hates speaking in front of class—a lot. In fact, he just flat out won't do it.
- Otherwise, things are pretty good. But then Friday the 13th comes around, and you know something bad is going to happen.
- Max gets a note in homeroom telling him he needs to go to the principal's office. Max is worried that he's about to be sent back to the learning disabled class.
- Turns out it's worse. It's about his father. Yep, Mr. He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.
- Max's father is up for parole and has a request for Max.
- Max doesn't want to hear anything about it, so he flips out. We are talking a serious tantrum. And when you're as big as Max, this can be really dangerous.
- The principal has to call in the nurse, and they finally get Max calmed down. They tell him to forget about it. Probably a good call.
- But wait. If you think this is the bad thing that happens on Friday the 13th, think again. This is only the beginning.
- When Max meets back up with Freak, Freak is in the cafeteria eating chop suey.
- Max goes to get him a second helping, and when he comes back, Freak has changed color and can't breathe.
- This isn't good.
- The nurse comes over and sticks something plastic down his throat to help him breathe. Freak starts to look better, but Max is seriously upset.
- An ambulance comes to take Freak to the hospital, but Max has to stay at school. All he does the rest of the day is worry about his bud.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...