Freak the Mighty
Cite This Page
Freak the Mighty Chapter 13 Summary Page 1
American Chop Suey
- Max keeps taking classes with Freak, and to Max's surprise, he's actually learning stuff. For some reason, it makes sense when Freak explains it to him.
- Max's main problem is that he hates speaking in front of class—a lot. In fact, he just flat out won't do it.
- Otherwise, things are pretty good. But then Friday the 13th comes around, and you know something bad is going to happen.
- Max gets a note in homeroom telling him he needs to go to the principal's office. Max is worried that he's about to be sent back to the learning disabled class.
- Turns out it's worse. It's about his father. Yep, Mr. He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.
- Max's father is up for parole and has a request for Max.
- Max doesn't want to hear anything about it, so he flips out. We are talking a serious tantrum. And when you're as big as Max, this can be really dangerous.
- The principal has to call in the nurse, and they finally get Max calmed down. They tell him to forget about it. Probably a good call.
- But wait. If you think this is the bad thing that happens on Friday the 13th, think again. This is only the beginning.
- When Max meets back up with Freak, Freak is in the cafeteria eating chop suey.
- Max goes to get him a second helping, and when he comes back, Freak has changed color and can't breathe.
- This isn't good.
- The nurse comes over and sticks something plastic down his throat to help him breathe. Freak starts to look better, but Max is seriously upset.
- An ambulance comes to take Freak to the hospital, but Max has to stay at school. All he does the rest of the day is worry about his bud.