Freak the Mighty
by Rodman Philbrick
Freak the Mighty Chapter 22 Summary
Remembering Is Just an Invention of the Mind
- It's springtime, and things seem to have wrapped themselves up nicely. The boys are out of school and high on life.
- Freak is explaining to Max how memory is just an invention; you can actually remember anything, whether it happened or not.
- Max does what he always does when he doesn't know what Freak is talking about—he keeps his mouth shut.
- Soon, it is Freak's birthday. But Freak wants a duel celebration because Freak the Mighty is turning one year old.
- Freak wants a real helicopter for his birthday. Teenagers don't play with toys.
- Instead, he gets a computer with a modem so he can connect to this newfangled thing called "The Internet." Maybe you've heard of it? (At the time, it was cutting edge.)
- Freak doesn't really eat much at his birthday party, but Max figures he's just excited about gifts.
- Max helps do dishes while Freak plays with his new computer. Then he hears Grim shout from the living room.
- When he rushes into the room, Freak is having a seizure.
- They call an ambulance, and Max runs outside to wave it down.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...