Freak the Mighty Chapter 24 Summary
The Return of Kicker
- The next day, Max decides to sneak out early and see Freak. He figures he'll just check in and be back by breakfast.
- But things don't go quite as planned.
- When Max gets to the hospital, he heads straight for the ICU. He asks if Kevin (a.k.a. Freak) is back from his operation yet.
- The nurse just gets quiet and pages Freak's doctor.
- Max begins to notice how all the nurses are crying and looking at him, and, to use his words, he goes nuts.
- He starts running through the hospital saying, "No way! No way!" (24.18)
- Security tries to grab him, but he just starts kicking and kicking. They put handcuffs on him and try to subdue him. This is how Freak's doctor, Dr. Spivak, finds him.
- Max yells at her about how Freak trusted her to give him a new body.
- She makes the cops let him go and asks him to tell her what he means. He explains about Freak's bionic operation and the medical tests.
- She explains that Freak knew from a very young age that he wasn't going to live very long. And he must have invented the idea of robot body to have something to hope for.
- Security releases Max into Grim's custody, and he asks Max if he wants to talk about it.
- But Max just wants to be left alone.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...