Freak the Mighty
by Rodman Philbrick
Max Kane Timeline and Summary
- Max goes to daycare and acquires the wonderful habit of kicking other children and anyone else who happens to be nearby. He also meets Freak.
- Max grows up and stops kicking, but starts sulking.
- He reunites with Freak, and they form a powerful crime-fighting duo. Well, not exactly, but they do form Freak the Mighty.
- They play together all summer, occasionally going on (fake) dangerous quests.
- One quest turns out to be actually dangerous, and they meet Iggy, criminal leader of a motorcycle gang. They escape and decide to avoid questing for a while.
- On Christmas Eve, Max's criminal father kidnaps Max from his bedroom. Freak rescues Max, with the help of the police, and life returns to normal.
- Then Freak dies, and Max flips out, punching his fist through a glass door.
- Max mourns for a long time, but finally begins to come to grips with Freak's death and writes their story.