From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
by E.L. Konigsburg
From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler Chapter 2 Summary
- Pinned to his pajamas is a list of detailed instructions on their whole running away venture. Jamie reads them carefully and commits them to memory.
- Then he destroys the evidence by eating it all. Bon appetit!
- After stuffing all their supplies into their empty musical instrument cases, Jamie and Claudia board the school bus. They try to look natural and blend into the background. NBD.
- When all the other kids get off at school though, Jamie and Claudia don't. Instead, they duck down and wait as the bus takes them farther and farther away from their boring old lives.
- After the bus stops, they wait, hearts pounding, for the bus driver to leave. They finally pop their heads up and look around.
- Even with all those instructions, Claudia failed to mention that they are running away to the Met. Jamie, who wants to go into wilderness survival mode, is offended by her cushy choice of location.
- Claudia wins out. What else did you expect?
- Jamie takes control of the money though, since he's less likely to blow it on limos and caviar than Claudia is.
- They make their way to the Greenwich train station and take it to Grand Central—the station of dreams and possibility.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...