From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler Chapter 8 Summary
- On Tuesday, it's once again laundry day. Jamie and Claudia gather up their things and go to the Laundromat.
- They can't resist stopping by the post office, even though it's too early in the day for mail.
- Even when they're out and about, every day is an opportunity for learning (at least according to Claudia).
- They go to the U.N. building, where they pay for a tour. When the ticket lady asks whether or not they have school today, Jamie spins a big whopper about why they're out of school. Did we mention that Jamie is pretty good at thinking on his feet when adults ask about their situation?
- After the tour, they go to the post office where they find a letter in their P.O. Box. They're very nervous, of course, and so they open it up and read it.
- The letter is from the museum, and it states that they already knew about the stonemason's mark.
- This is, of course, quite the blow to their whole operation.
- They walk to Grand Central Terminal and Claudia breaks down. She is totally and completely devastated. All she wanted to be was special, to discover the secret of the statue, and now her hopes and dreams have been crushed. It's all too much for a twelve-year-old—even a remarkably mature twelve-year-old.
- Jamie tries to comfort her, but she's still too upset.
- When they go to the ticket booth, Jamie thinks they're going home, but Claudia has other plans. She jumps in and says that they want tickets to Farmington, Connecticut.
- Where's that, you say? Well, apparently, it's the place where Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, the former owner of the angel statue, lives. Claudia is going to the source.
- Somehow, Jamie agrees and pays for the fare without even asking the price. That's a first for him. It's also a first that Claudia is doing something without planning it out first. They're going on a gut feeling and very limited funds… and hoping that it all works out for the best.
- The two siblings take the train all the way to Farmington and then take a taxi (Claudia finally gets her taxi!) to Mrs. Frankweiler's house.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...