A Game of Thrones Chapter 4 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- On another continent, in the Free City of Pentos, the last two descendants of the previous royal house are scraping by.
- Prince Viserys Targaryen is planning on selling/marrying his sister Daenerys (she's thirteen years old) to a barbarian lord named Khal Drogo, who leads a mighty army of Dothraki horsemen. (Viserys wants to marry his sister to Drogo so that he'll give him an army to win back the Seven Kingdoms.)
- Illyrio Mopatis, a rich businessman, helped broker this deal. (Good luck with these names, by the way.)
- This chapter contains a lot of Viserys and Daenerys' history: how they escaped from Westeros (the continent with the Seven Kingdoms), how they ran out of money (people call him "the Beggar King"), and how Viserys is kind of a monster to his sister (physically abusing her and warning her not to "wake the dragon").
- At Mopatis' party, Daenerys sees a knight from Westeros, Ser Jorah Mormont, who is in exile for selling criminals into slavery. She is then presented to Khal Drogo. Oh, we hope it's love at first sight – that would be so romantic (if we can forget that her brother is basically selling her to this stranger so that the stranger will give him an army).
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...