A Game of Thrones
Cite This Page
A Game of Thrones Chapter 4 Summary Page 1
How It All Goes Down
- On another continent, in the Free City of Pentos, the last two descendants of the previous royal house are scraping by.
- Prince Viserys Targaryen is planning on selling/marrying his sister Daenerys (she's thirteen years old) to a barbarian lord named Khal Drogo, who leads a mighty army of Dothraki horsemen. (Viserys wants to marry his sister to Drogo so that he'll give him an army to win back the Seven Kingdoms.)
- Illyrio Mopatis, a rich businessman, helped broker this deal. (Good luck with these names, by the way.)
- This chapter contains a lot of Viserys and Daenerys' history: how they escaped from Westeros (the continent with the Seven Kingdoms), how they ran out of money (people call him "the Beggar King"), and how Viserys is kind of a monster to his sister (physically abusing her and warning her not to "wake the dragon").
- At Mopatis' party, Daenerys sees a knight from Westeros, Ser Jorah Mormont, who is in exile for selling criminals into slavery. She is then presented to Khal Drogo. Oh, we hope it's love at first sight – that would be so romantic (if we can forget that her brother is basically selling her to this stranger so that the stranger will give him an army).